Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Good News

Well, it's been a good couple of days. I got a new job, which rocks. It's actually with a company I used to work for-- Atomic Learning. And in honor of the end of my college writing center career, I'd like to post my favorite top five typos, misnomers, and general oddness I've seen over the last school year.

5. "This gay is an expert on the subject." 

The author meant "guy." Now, I'm not a twelve-year-old boy who laughs at disgusting gay jokes, but when the author is terribly homophobic, it made me a little pleased to point that one out.

4. "The infant picked up the polar beer."

I hope it was at least after noon.

3. A paper on why stereotyping is bad used an example: Not all male hairstylists are gay. Later on she reported, "Gay men are good looking, stylish, and into fashion." Not to stereotype or anything.

2. "...attorneys who work pro boner."

No explanation needed.

And the greatest misnomer I have ever seen:

1. "There were mazel tov cocktails thrown at the front porch."

Nope. It wasn't Rosh Hashanah.

Ryan was also transferred to a different department where he used to work, which is awesome. He really liked his old boss and the work he was doing was a lot more stimulating than selling light bulbs to unreasonably indecisive consumers.

And Norah's latest success is a flood of new words: Baby, heart, star, please, hands, and banana (sort of.) She can also indicate when she wants to brush her teeth by moving her finger back and forth across her mouth and saying "Chshhh chshh chshh." Unfortunately, she always wants to brush her teeth. I know, get a real problem.

Anyway, here's to a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment