Monday, July 25, 2011

No Swearing: Day 1

I already failed. Norah got up at 5:00 am and the first words that muttered out of my mouth were "Damn it." But I'm going to keep at it.

I think that by limiting my use of curse words, I will bring back their special meaning. Right now they're just words.

Man, I have a lot of shit to do.


Damn, it's hot.


Where's that fucking towel?

But they used to be more powerful. Here are a couple of my favorite swearing moments from childhood:

Who: Me and my childhood friend, Crystal
When: I think I was around 7 or 8
Where: Summer Bible school
What: We had made kazoos using toilet paper rolls, wax paper, and a rubber band. We were leaving the church and Crystal had left hers on a table, and I got it and ran up to her.

"Don't you want your kazoo?" I asked.
"I don't want that piece of shit."
And the Bible school teacher was right behind her.

I still giggle when I think of that moment.


Who: Mom, Dad, sister, me
When: 9 years old?
Where: In the car. Road trip to Oregon from Minnesota.
What: We were going to take a pit stop and visit my great aunt and her little poodle.

Dad: Yeah, she really loves that stupid little dog.
Mom: What's it's name? It's Pingo, or Pongo, or Dipshit or something.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here are some of my favorite cinematic swearing moments:

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation: Clark goes batshit when he finds out his holiday bonus is a jelly-of-the-month-club membership.


Pulp Fiction: Samuel L. Jackson's character asks for his wallet back.


The Big Lebowski: Walter and Donny.



---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And my favorite Subversive Cross Stitch pattern:


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Ah, good times. Making curse words generic has weakened them for me. This sabbatical will do me some good, and remind me that swearing can be awesome in appropriate situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment